Closure and Final Scraping

Please share with your friends!

Closure and Final Scraping

Graduation complete

When I last posted, I was beginning the graduation process for the back plate of the Titian copy. I had a pretty busy week, but this is where it went:

Completing the graduation of the Back plate on the Titian Strad copy.

Completing the graduation of the Back plate on the Titian Strad copy.

 

Once the graduation was complete, I removed the interior form (sometimes called the “mold”) from the garland, and trimmed the blocks and linings, so that the garland and back plate could be joined. I had already flattened the back of the garland, so this was a pretty simple step.

 

Graduation complete: ready to close!

Graduation complete: ready to close!

I aligned the plate on the garland as closely as I could, drythen began applying clamps to hold it. I adjusted the position slightly as I progressed, so that when I finally had clamps on all corners, and in the center of each bout, the position was exactly what I wanted. Then I began removing two or three clamps at a time, and slipping hot hide glue between the plate and the garland, using a thin palette knife. I quickly replaced the few clamps I had removed, and more clamps between them, so that the section was securely attached. Then I moved to the next section and repeated the process, until there was glue and clamps all the way around. I saved the neck block for last, because I intended to add that larger clamp, and it would have been cumbersome, had I used it early in the procedure.

 

Closed, clamped, and resting overnight.

Closed, clamped, and resting overnight.

I allowed the glue to dry overnight, and, in the morning, I removed the clamps and began carving the heel, and working on the edges of the back.

Closed, but a long way from done.

Closed, but a long way from done.

 

Shaping and scraping the heel.

Shaping and scraping the heel.

Finally, all the surfaces looked right, and the next step will be to remove the fingerboard, and prep the entire corpus for the varnighing process. The Guarneri copy is side-lined for the moment, which is what usually happens when I attempt to make more than one instrument at the same time. I usually get to a certain point on all of them, and then run with one to the finish, and come back for the rest. (Ah, well…at least they do get done.)

Ready for varnish prep. Front view.

Ready for varnish prep. Front view.

 

Ready for varnish prep. Back view.

Ready for varnish prep. Back view.

 

Full Front view: ready for varnish prep.

Full Front view: ready for varnish prep.

 

Full Back view: ready for varnish prep.

Full Back view: ready for varnish prep.

 

Next time, I will either talk about the varnishing preparation process, or I will follow the work on the Guarneri. Probably the varnish-prep. 🙂

 

Thanks for looking.

If you found this post helpful, please share with your friends!

Leave a Reply